Your training needs
Organisations that invest in training are more productive, proactive and profitable. It is important that your organisation has a good understanding of its training needs.
TAFE Queensland has an extensive range of training products - more than 800 programs across all industry sectors. TAFE can tailor specific training solutions for your company.
Contact an institute and they will conduct a skills audit and training needs analysis to assess the level of skills within your organisation. Assess your training needs by these four steps:
Step 1: Look at your business
Training is about developing skills, changing attitudes and learning different ideas.
How well are we doing?
- Is the organisation on track to achieve our long term business goals?
- Is the organisation doing well compared to our competitors?
- How is our bottom line? Could it be better?
- Are our clients happy with our service?
- Are our staff happy in their jobs?
- What business areas could benefit from training?
Am I completely satisfied with:
- the quality of our products or services?
- the efficiency of our business systems?
What goals do I want my business to achieve? Look at the:
- target production rate
- budgeted operating costs
- maximum acceptable time lost through injury
- maximum acceptable level of customer complaints or dissatisfaction
- maximum acceptable shrinkage or wastage
- targeted increase in market share.
Ask key staff or managers in your business what they want to accomplish and how training could help them achieve their goals.
Your organisation needs to invest in training and skills so staff can confidently do their job. Consult with all staff on an annual basis to determine their training and development needs.
Consult your employees, analyse the results and determine where the skill gaps lie. Compare the skills your staff currently have with the skills they require to do their job, and with the skills they will require to improve.
Analyse the information from staff skills and gaps, with information on your business goals. This analysis will help to identify your organisation's training needs.
When your training needs have been identified, a training and development plan can be established. The plan will help you work with your chosen institute to organise and manage the type of training that will best meet your needs.
TAFE Queensland institutes specialise in developing customised solutions for businesses, using a wide range of flexible learning options.